Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where do I begin?

This week has been amazing! There have been highs, lows, laughter, crying, affirmation, doubts. Name an emotion....I think we've experienced them all this week. Tonight, I am reflecting on the first HOPE FELLOWSHIP corporate worship service that took place this morning at Rock Springs Elementary. There has been much prayer this week. Friends here in Tennessee and literally around the globe have prayed. We are THANKFUL for your prayers! Please keep praying that we will effectively and intentionally share the Gospel and keep Jesus Christ and His Kingdom first.

Over the years I have talked to dozens of church planters. For the most part they all say the same thing. You often hear, "It's the hardest thing I've ever done". They say, "You better be sure that God has clearly called you to church planting." But most of them also say, "It's the most rewarding and fulfilling thing I have ever done." After six months of "house church" on Sunday nights and week one of Sunday morning corporate worship, I think I have seen a small glimpse of what those who have gone before me have referenced.

Today was pretty awesome! I realize that my emotions are all over the place right now and not everyone who attended HOPE FELLOWSHIP may feel the same way. Here is what I know. Jesus Christ and His Kingdom were our focus. Not much frill or fluff today. Not extremely polished. But we had corporate worship. We reflected on the importance of preparing our hearts for worship. We sang four songs. (Glory to God / How Great Thou Art / Fill Me Up / Here I Am to Worship) Thank you Greg and band! We were silent before God as we reflected on scripture. I started a series in the book of Nehemiah and today preached from chapter one. We prayed together and we gave tithes and offerings as an act of worship.

We had four Sunday school classes. Preschool/K-5/Youth/Adults. These groups met at 9:00. I am thankful for volunteers who made Bible study happen this morning!

Some of the funny stuff from today that makes me smile...
-Most often asked question - "Where are the donuts" (We just had coffee)
-Favorite quote from a core group member this afternoon, "I haven't been this excited since I got my first Camaro when I was 16".
-When referencing Hell's Kitchen TV show in my sermon I said "H - E - double hockey stick" instead of saying "Hell". Not sure why I did that? It just came out that way.
-Having youth Sunday school in the cafeteria where all the walls are BIG windows by the main entrance is probably not the best idea. I should have known better! Duh.

For those of you who are number people, here you go! We had 87 today. The offering was just over $1900.00. I put this last on purpose. My personal tendency is to think that attendance is based on my performance as a leader and pastor. I don't want to go there right now.

In summary, I was overwhelmed (in a good way) with everything about today!
Great is His faithfulness.

Giving Jesus Christ all GLORY tonight!

1 comment:

The Williamson Family said...

Job well done brother!

Jeff W. (Memphis)