Monday, February 14, 2011

A long overdue update from The Shingleton's!

Where do I begin? Seriously! Maybe this will give you an idea. We knew we were too busy to send Christmas cards this year so we made "Happy New Year" cards. Yep....still have not mailed them. It's Valentine's Day for crying out loud! Anyway. There is so much I could say but the main thing I want to do is to ask you to PRAY! For about five or six years I have personally felt God calling me to pastor and more specifically to start a new church. Back in July we asked a few close friends to pray with us about this. God gave us much affirmation during that time and that small prayer group developed into a small Bible study group. For the past six months, we basically have hosted a "house church" at The Shingleton Casa every Sunday night. The time together has been really rewarding. A few in the group are friends we have known for many years, but most in the group are newer friends. God has uniquely put together this team so that we might proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and plant a new church in Tennessee.

If you are one of those people who are saying right now, "like do we really need another church in Middle TN?", and I know some of you are thinking that, I will save the response to that question for a later date.

Fast forward to this week!

The reason we are asking for your prayer support is because this Sunday, February 20th, 2011 we will gather for the first HOPE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH Sunday morning worship service. This is honestly one of the most exciting and at the same time overwhelming things I have ever trusted God in! We don't have it all figured out....we just know that it is time.

Our idea is pretty simple. Bible study a.k.a. "Sunday School" at 9:00 and a worship service at 10:15. I would say that our first month at Rock Springs Elementary will be operating under the banner "less is more" - haha. But here is the TRUTH! With the power of prayer and a group of people who are obedient to God's call on their lives, Jesus Christ and His Kingdom will be honored.

You will have questions like.....so Kent, is this church Southern Baptist? Answer: YES

What about your ministry at the TBC? Answer: I have graciously been given permission to work full time at the TBC for now and be a "bi-vocational" church planter. I will need to make a decision about that status later this year.

So here we go. The web site is not even up yet. How awesome is that! I guess you could say right now we are kickin' it old school style.

For those of you who read this blog and live in Middle TN and are not active in a church....honestly, probably like 2 people, yeah, you are invited to worship with us!

This Sunday, February 20th - Rock Springs Elementary

1000 Waldron Road La Vergne, TN 37086

(two miles south on Waldron Road / La Vergne exit #64 off of I-24)
(if you live in Smyrna - take Sam Ridley until it dead ends into Blair. Right on Blair, left on Waldron to the school)

I want to take a minute now to praise Jesus Christ for what He has already done.

God has shown Himself as PROVIDER! Here are just a few of the miraculous things we are thankful for: Sound system for worship - 100% donated, Liability Insurance needed to meet in a public school - 100% donated, Rock Springs Elementary becoming available at just the right time with a gracious rental fee - 100% awesome, Logo design/Web site design/Promo design - 100% donated, Enclosed trailer loaned to us, Music stands and kids curriculum donated - A team of volunteer leaders willing to take this leap of faith with our family - 100% amazing.

I am humbled to be on this journey! If you would like a daily prayer guide that we are using this week as we pray together, simply respond to this blog post and we will email you a copy.

The family.....we are blessed. Shawnah has a new part-time job at Chico's, Jared is working at Blue Coast and in college, Maci praying about where to go to college, Molly is sweet 16 and has her driver's permit, and Sarah has now been full time in our home for 14 months. Yesterday was the two year anniversary of her mom's death.

We love you guys! God bless, Kent




12 comments:

janetgerehall said...

Kent & Shawnah, I'm amazed by your faith to step out. Would be honored to be praying along side you, so if you'd like to email me the guide, I'd be grateful.

Hugs,
Janet

Tyler said...

Hey Kent & Shawnah, I would also love to pray with/for you guys as you take this amazing Journey GOD has for you!!! CAn't wait to see you guys at YEC..Thanks Tyler

Carolyn O. said...

This is so exciting and obviously something you have been led to do. I would love to pray for you and the church as you follow the Lord's leadership.

My email is OutlandC@aol.com

Lana said...

OMG, Kent, what an amazing journey you are beginning. Yes, include me on your prayer guides.

Lana

The Loxley Family said...

WOOOHOOOO!!! Send me the guide. rachelloxley@gmail.com. Praying, Praying, Praying! Love you all!

Jamie Ivey said...

so excited for you guys!
:)Jamie

zionchild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zionchild said...

Tony and I as well as the kids will be praying for your family as well as the others co-laboring with you in obedience to the Lord Jesus! We would be honored if you would include us in email prayer updates, etc. See you at YEC in March! My email address is zionchild777@hotmail. You already have Tony's.

God bless you,
The Warren Family

Carrie said...

I would love to pray for you all as you take this journey. This is definitely an exciting time. Please email me a guide (csmith@tnbaptist.org). Thanks!

Carrie

Sherry said...

Kent and Shawnah,
Both of you have been such a blessing to so many people, you have given yourselves and your home. I know that God is going to bless this church! I would come if I lived near!! I would be honored to pray for you!
iscarysherry2@yahoo.com

Corey said...

I'm so excited for you!! We'll be praying that God truly blesses your ministry!

Michael and Felecia O said...

This is so exciting. Felecia and I will be praying for you guys and will continue to pray for you. God is going to do some great things in your lives. WE love you guys.